Garages are no longer the neglected room of your house. They have evolved in to good store room for your workshop or yard tools with all the fantastic and innovative storage furniture. They should reflect luxury like any other part of the house since you store your beautiful cars here. Garage flooring is important in this aspect. You can transform your garage into a showroom for your cars, sports items and tools with the help of perfect garage flooring. Durability is also a key quality a garage floor should have. Some of the garage flooring options that are considered as a good idea in garage improvement is discussed below:
- Epoxy garage floor: Epoxy is a tough resinous composite material with great durability. It is easy to keep clean and it is chemical resistant. This is important since garage floors are often exposed to harsh chemicals dripping from the car. They are available in a variety of finishes that can create a nice glossy finish and shine that will completely change the looks of your garage. Various solid colour options are available. To add texture to your floor materials like quartz, color chips and polyaspartic coatings are used.
- Mats: Rubberized vinyl floor mats are available in different colors and textures. You can have the cushion-effect which is popular as an anti-fatigue technique. The lighting effect available with these mats is indeed a posh one.
- Tiles: Variety of materials and colors are available under this option of garage flooring. They are of few types depending on the material used like vinyl composite tile, interlocking hard plastic tile, peel and stick vinyl and porcelain tile. The chess board floor of your garage truly imparts a retro and classic look. This type of flooring provides good friction preventing you from slipping. They are resistant to oils, chemicals and pressure to a good extent.
- Paint: It is a cheap way of protecting your concrete garage floor while harboring a smart look. Two different materials are available. Latex acrylic concrete paint is cheaper, resists the effect of water, mold and mildew. Car fluids should be cleaned up quickly because anti-freeze fluids and oil can stain the paint while gasoline and brake fluids can cause wrinkling and peeling away of the paint. The other type is a mixture of epoxy paint and the standard paint. It makes the coating more durable. This is again of two types depending on the amount of epoxy paint added to the mixture. One-part epoxy paint is cheaper than the two part-epoxy paint. The latter produces a tougher finish. For further improvement, colored acrylic paint chips can be added which will give the floor a textured look or you can anti-skid materials to make it slip-resistant especially if it frequently snows or rains in your place.
- Seals: It is the least expensive way of protecting your concrete floor from dust, water, road salt and to some extent from oils, chemicals and stains. Some varieties are Topical floor sealers, Acrylic concrete sealers, Epoxy concrete sealers and Polyurethane concrete sealers.