A garage was initially meant to shelter and protect vehicles. Today we use it to store many other things like car maintenance supplies, bikes and sporting equipment, workshop tools, snow removal tools, gardening tools, fertilizers, hose pipes, garden chairs, tables and even recycle bins. Whenever, there is a need of extra space, this ‘out of the house’ car-shelter becomes default storage. Slowly, it may evolve in to a dumping room for materials which do not find an appropriate place in the house. It is important to organize this space too since you visit this place often and it stores tools that may be frequently required like a rake, shovel, etc. Some sequential steps of garage organizing and improvement have been discussed below:
- First of all decisions are to be made on each of the junk items, whether to keep them or donate them or simply throw them away. Garage is not an attic! It should be kept clean and tidy.
- A plan needs to be chalked. A floor plan may be drawn to understand the amount of space available for storage. This will help to visualize what will fit and where it can be placed.
- A catalog needs to be prepared. Depending on the frequency of usage, items may be kept near the door or within easy reach. If possible try to classify tools according to their purpose. For example, lawn mowers, weed cutters and hedge trimmers come under large gardening apparatus.
- Hooks and hangars should be used for stacking bikes and other sports gear. This will increase floor space and reduce the cluttered look of your garage.
- Containing and arranging things is an important step in garage improvement. Garage furniture has become smart and easy to use, solving the space problem right away. Cabinets, shelves and plastic containers will instantly provide that organized and peaceful look your garage needs. Shelving is a great idea of utilizing vertical space. Floor Cabinets, Wall Cabinets, Movable cabinets, wired shelves, tool-holding racks and many more type of garage storage solutions are available online and in the market. The choice should be based on your budget, need and some online reviews.
- Using ceiling racks is a comparatively new and innovative idea of storage. Various types like those made of wood or steel are available.
- Finally, the entire arrangement should be viewed from the point of safety. Fertilizers, paints, pesticides, sharp tools, chain saws, pruning shears should be locked in boxes or cabinets. Rakes, shovels and other heavy yard tools should be hung or kept out of the way. It is not advisable to store gasoline and flammable items in a garage.
Thanks for reading, remember to share and comment if you found this information useful.